Originally Posted By: liquidsquid
Do you see tree roots in the pond? They are thirsty too! If the trees are pulling water from the pond, I don't think Soil-Floc will stop them. You may wish to "thin the herd" a little of the trees surrounding the pond to lower their consumption. Target the broad-leaved deciduous before targeting pines. Maples and willows are the worst offenders with "drinking" water.

I've got 100 yr old, oaks, hickories, and maples right up to the edge of my pond. I'm sure they have a negative effect on the water level, as well as dumping in millions of leaves every fall, but they are nice to look at, and I can always find a shady spot to float, no matter what time of day, or year.
FYI, I followed CC's plan for putting down SF. It's a great way to keep track of where you've been, and how even your application is. The SF slowed down my leak by 50%. I think if I was doing it over, I would double the application rate. I threw a red plastic cup of A & B, plus a cup of bentonite to help it sink, for every 4' of distance covered.

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023