Saved a parrot fish.

Well not at my pond but the big pond called the Caribbean sea.

At about 50' depth came across a parrotfish about a foot long hooked in the mouth, fishing line snapped and wrapped around a gorgonian. Fish looks dead laying there.

Grab ahold of the hook and fish comes to life. I'm holding fish while closely watching that parrot shaped beak lest the fish decides I'm the enemy and goes into attack mode. Work with the hook for 30 seconds having zero luck getting the barb back through when I realize the fish is snagged just above the mouth instead of through the mouth. Take my knife off my BC (bouyancy compensator, not black crappie), insert the tip and cut the quarter inch of skin holding the fish (parrotfish appear to have increddibly tough skin).

Let the fish go, it lists momentarily in the water collumn, then is off like a rocket. Took the two hooks sinkers and line back with me out of the water.

So one more parrot fish is out grazing algae off coral reefs today than otherwise would have been. Now when I dive the area will be watching for a parrot fish with a scar on the left above its mouth.

Last edited by snrub; 05/22/17 09:01 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine