I had a busy weekend at the pond - even with the terrible weather! I got a bag of Sportsmans Choice feed and started hand feeding 1lb/day between 5-6pm. So far I've only see turtles eating the feed. Most of my bluegills and bass roam the other side of my pond which is only accessable via row boat. I'll keep spreading feed daily hoping fish show up.

I made a cloverleaf trap to sample some of the pond fish and remove as many bullheads as possible.

So far its worked pretty well - 10 bullheads the first day which were left for the raccoons to eat. I have quite a few folks begging to have them for bait lol

Today I rowed around the pond and did a little fishing and observing. I have a decent amount of frogs but no signs off tadpoles anywhere. Turtles are cruising around and eating well and I did spot a few small bluegill swimming around the inlet. I also spotted some bluegill beds in one of the only non-algae and curlyleaf covered shallows of the entire pond. I caught 9 BG from 4-6" but none of my tagged stocker BG's.

I managed to catch a decent native LMB - 16.5" but didn't have a scale with me

I stopped to check my outflow pipe and found the head end 75% clogged with sticks and small logs from recent rains and high winds. I got it cleared and checked the tail end to the creek. I need to come up with a wire fence barrier to keep the debris from reaching the mouth of the overflow.

100% outflow capacity

I hope the curlyleaf and FA ease back so my bass and bluegills can get off a decent spawn - at least it is keeping the GBH from eating too many fish in the shallows lol

Last edited by Matzilla; 05/21/17 11:16 PM.

Mat Peirce
1.25 acre southeast Iowa pond
LMB, BG, YP, WE, HSB, RES, BCP