Was walking in the back yard and heard a bubbling noise coming from not far away. Went over to check and saw air bubbles and water coming up through the grass. oh no? underground sprinkling leak? the system was off! Maybe the main energized loop was leaking but no digging in this area and the main loop was not there either...

Did some digging. Found I have a long run of 4" pvc drain tile from house gutters passes through that area. There is plenty of slope to allow the pvc to drain in the woods about 40 feet away. The connections on the pvc are not glued, just pressed together. I figure there must be an obstruction.

Sure enough, went and took the PVC screen/cap off the end and a lot of water was backing up along with leaves/debris. cleared that out..

Now, if I put the pvc green cover back on I'm in the same boat again. if I keep it open then maybe critters will climb up it? It is a long run, uphill, about 150 feet of pipe back to the house. I'm not so good about scheduling routine cleanout of the pvc year around, so is there a solution?

Is there a different cap I can put on that lets most of the debris out but not rodents in?

I guess for now I'll leave the end open and hope our dog keeps anything on 4 legs that fits up that pipe away. Since he has learned how to 'stalk' squirrels and birds instead of barking furiously and charging at them he has been much more effective at keeping anything on 4 legs away!