I would start with buying this, and learning as much as you can before contacting a builder. A good builder is going to ask many questions you may not be ready to answer yet. I wasn't.

http://www.pondboss.com/item.asp?id=163&r=store%3Fp%3D2

You will have to copy and paste link, or it is Mike Otto's book, Just Add Water.

Then read as much as you can on this site. There are so many questions.......
Areas I would try to find to learn about prior to...:

Goals- When I started I didn't like this question, because I knew so little about the process. All I knew was I wanted a hole with water in it. You need to try and figure out how you are going to use the pond. Trophy bass, trophy bluegill, swimming, not worried about trophy just want to catch fish, catfish pond...... Each one will send you in a little different direction.

Location of pond

Size of pond

Cost of construction- this was one of my big surprises. Expect $15-20K per surface acre, or $2-3/yard of dirt. How much dirt they have to move depends on the shape of the land you have.

Shape of pond

contour of pond(built in structure)

slope inside(3:1) and outside of pond(4:1 or even 5:1) less slope outside the pond makes it much easier to mow, but needs more dirt moved,thus more $

How deep?(12-16'?)

type of spillway(over flow area, pipe, or siphon) and emergency spillway

What size pond will your watershed support?

What kind of structure are you going to put in it?

Aeration? (helps prevent fish kills and keeps water in better condition, removes thermocline)) Will you have electricity close?

What kind of fish?

What effect does one type of fish have on another? You really can't stock it however you want and it do well. Everything needs to be in balance, as best you can.

Are you going to feed fish? What kind of feeder should you buy? What kind of fish food are you going to feed?

How are you going to keep the pond mowed?

Is livestock going to use the pond?

Soil samples to determine if you will need to lime BEFORE it fills with water

DO you have the right soil type or will you need to bring in clay or other type of liner?

There are more but this gives you a starting place.

Last edited by BrianL; 05/10/17 02:50 PM.

1.8 acre pond with CNBG, RES, HSB, and LMB
Trophy Hunter feeder.