Another tidbit of information is that once particle size gets much above what Rainman talks about the effectiveness almost completely vanishes. I don't remember what that size is. Lime has to be finely ground up to work.

We have several quarries within driving distance. The ones near us in Missouri tend to have higher ECCE ratings for two reasons. Those quarries grind finer and the rock tends to be more pure. The stuff we buy in Kansas will have some small gravel size rocks left when you throw it in the water. These particle sizes are innefetive as far as lime goes but if some piles up in an area the fish love it for bedding.

Lime in the Kansas quarries is somewhat of a byproduct of creating graded chrushed rock for black top highways and concrete. They grind the rock then sieve out the lime and fines for different grades. If they have more demand for lime they will grind harder or run material throuh the grinder additional times.

AB3, a common driveway rock, is about 1" stuff with fines left in (so it will pack). I don't know the percentage but I estimate it contains about 10% ag lime in the fines. I like to dump it out in piles near the shore. The lime portion helps the water and the gravel and larger size rocks the fish work up into beds. The same quarry provides all different sizes and grades of product all the way from the very fine lime up to shot rock. It all comes from the same limestone rock. Ag lime is just fine ground up calcium based rock that has been tested for effectiveness.

Last edited by snrub; 05/06/17 10:50 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine