Some interesting goings-on at my pond, so I thought I would post an update...

Fishing: Have caught six LMB between 8-9 pounds this year. Lost one that I'm certain was the double-digit fish I've been waiting for : (

Culling: Have already culled 110 pounds of LMB this year.

TFS: Survived the winter and appear to be thriving.

Tilapia: 120 pounds being delivered next week to take some pressure off of the CNBG, because...

Fish Swap: Had Overton Fisheries come up last week to assist in a fish swap with a good friend. They shocked my lake and we took out approx 75 pounds of CNBG (looked like 500-600 fish of all sizes). Transported the fish to my buddy's lake about 45 minutes away. Kept CNBG in tank truck while they shocked his lake. Took out approx 150 pounds of LMB (looked like 75-100 fish), put them in the tank truck, released the CNBG and trucked the LMB back to my place where they were acclimated and released. I have great CNBG genetics that he needed and he has great LMB genetics (originally came from Harrell Arms) that I wanted introduced in my pond. Plus I took advantage of the shocking to cull some small LMB from my lake. Really fun day and I learned a lot from Walt and Clint from Overton!

Surprise: I have gizzard shad in my pond! Couldn't believe it and had never seen one, but there were a pretty decent number of them shocked up. Given the increased number of big LMB in my pond, and the new genetics added (several were already in the 3-4 pound range and these things grow FAST), I was told it shouldn't be a problem, and in fact could help with growing true trophy size bass.

Feeders: Now running three new Texas Hunter feeders and these babies are awesome. Wish I had bought them years ago! Still a ton of CNBG coming to the feeders.

Water Chemistry: Alkalinity and hardness are pretty low, so looking at adding gypsum in the coming year.

Crazy (and expensive) year at the pond so far, but I'm having a blast! Big investment, but hopefully it will pay off...

Last edited by Fishman Dan; 05/02/17 10:31 PM.

Carl Spackler: "This place got a pool?"
Ty Webb: "Pool and a pond. Pond would be good for you..."