Originally Posted By: anthropic
Went to addle goose eggs today, but the nest was abandoned. We celebrated too soon, though: A short while later we spotted mom & pop goose...with four goslings. Too late!

My wife will be delighted, as will my grandkids. Next season: Away with Geese!

I'm obviously quite a coward. I'd never attempt to sneak into a goose nest to addle the eggs. Geese guarding a nest are really mean and powerful.

I've still got 65 year old wounds on the back of my head from a supposedly domestic gander that our dog was smart enough to stay away from, but I wasn't. It chased me down the driveway beating its wings against my arms and pecking me on the head.

However, as has been mentioned above, goose breasts are rather tasty. Somewhere in a back issue of Pond Boss is a recipe similar to what ESSHUP posted above. He brought some duck breasts to Bob and Debbie Lusk's place when a bunch of us were visiting. I was somehow put in charge of preparing them. ESSHUP and I marinated and grilled them. They got eaten faster than some prized filet mignon.

I can neither endorse nor confirm this, but I've been told that if a goose is shot in the breast or head with a .22, it will float if it was on the water. On land, it just keels over. A simple grab and pull in the middle of its chest reveals two large liver-colored pieces of meat that just need to be skinned from the feathers, and sliced away from the carcass.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!