I've got a 30+ year old heavy duty Grumman 14-foot aluminum flat-bottom boat that I use for fishing in freshwater and saltwater. It is perfect for my needs. I use it with an electric and a gasoline motor. The boat is still in excellent mechanical condition. It has "bass seats" and a livewell. But after 30-some years, I'd like to paint it to keep the poor thing from feeling embarrassed when I take it out in public.

I thought repainting would be simple. NOT!

Good paints designed for metal, including aluminum, like Rustoleum say "not suited for water immersion".

Does anybody have any suggestions for preparing and then repainting an old aluminum boat that still has about 95% of its original paint? The old paint is mostly just faded. The paint has rubbed off on the bottom ribs, in the areas where straps pass over it to hold it onto the trailer, and where my feet and butt regularly reside when fishing.

I'd like to paint it myself, but I'm now thinking I may need to take it to a boat dealer who knows how to restore old aluminum boats.

If I can do it myself, I can do it with brushes, plus I have a couple of different size sprayers for my compressor.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!