Originally Posted By: DonoBBD
Canadian geese would not be so bad if they tasted good. They taste like liver. If you like liver and can hunt them giver.

We have a pair drop in once in a while but don't set up nesting.

Oh my. Dono, maybe you Canadians just don't know how to properly prepare Canada geese. I don't think their taste changes while they are south of the border. I know that my above-the-border relatives from the Toronto-Ottawa corridor, to Thunder Bay and Winnipeg, enjoy them as much as us below the border.

Typically, we do not take anything but the breasts. At least for us, the remainder of the goose just isn't worth it.

I would put fresh-harvested Canada Goose breast up against good beef filet-mignon any day. The color and texture are extremely similar. I immediately bleed mine out in a saltwater solution for at least and hour or two before cooking. Lightly rub them in vegetable oil. Best yet, is marinating them for an hour or two in a vinegar-oil-herb dressing (like Italian dressing). It can really make a huge difference. I like to add just a little garlic powder to each side after putting them on a very hot grill for just a couple of minutes per side. Don't over cook them. When a trusted meat thermometer gets to about 160F/70C degrees in the thickest parts o9f the meat, they are ready.

Back in the last page archives of a Pond Boss magazine there is an article of how we took some of ESSHUPS (Scott's) duck (coot??) breasts, marinated them, and then slightly grilled them at Pond Boss LL2. They were more popular than great mid-western beef filet mignon -- although there were no left-overs of either that evening.

Don't give up on those pesky geese. They can provide fantastic gourmet meals if prepared correctly.

Ken

Last edited by catmandoo; 04/20/17 02:54 PM.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!