Originally Posted By: esshup
Switching foods probably won't help. If the HBG are eating all the food before the YP/SMB see it, then what? If you are saying that the HBG won't like to eat the other brand of food, what will you do if the YP/SMB don't eat it either?

Either feed more so the HBG get their fill and there is food left over for the other fish, or feed a larger pellet size (like Optimal Bass food. I don't know if a larger pellet will help, but I know in my pond the bass don't want to eat a smaller pellet, they will eat a clump of small pellets, but not an individual one.

I don't "see" a YP eating the food, but I know they are by the splash they make at the surface of the pond. They rocket up from down deep, start their turn, grab a pellet and rocket back down.

Makes sense Scott. Maybe I need to run the feeder longer. I'll also keep removing the HBG. Looks like it was a mistake (for me) to add them. I was thinking possibly some of the other feed might sink, giving the YP a better chance of getting some.
FYI, I changed from 6 seconds, twice a day, to 10 seconds. The feed still disappears in less than a minute.
Thanks
Jeff

Last edited by SetterGuy; 04/20/17 06:59 AM.

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023