Here's some of my observations and experience from quite a few years. And, as we say, all ponds are different. I'm also not a pro but a pretty dumb pond junkie. My curiosity has killed a lot of fish and my biggest mistake probably hasn't happened yet.

Even East Texas and West Texas are 100% different. Attribute this to rain and soil. Fertilizing, in my area, can just about guarantee a fish kill with the bigger fish going first. Pine tree country generally means that the water needs carefully applied fertilizer. Been there, done that, a long time ago and had to start over. I am also not qualified to give advice regarding ponds in areas where people look forward to fishing in hard water or any place where people can walk on their ponds.

Fish in smaller ponds get hook shy and bigger fish are generally those that have learned that my footsteps on the bank could be a problem.

By the end of summer, a 1/2 acre pond can become 1/4 acre and all of the pond dynamics change. Praying for rain and rain dances are futile.

Bass and BG are spawning machines. Only bass can keep up with BG spawning rates. And only BG can spawn enough to feed bass. And yet, the bass, even with plentiful groceries, can wipe out the BG base in 3 or 4 years in anything less than 3 or 4 acres. That's why it's important to remove all the small bass. Good luck on that.

Aeration works and fountains don't.

Lieing to the Wife about pond expenses can get you into trouble.

Ponds are like corvettes, boats, horses, and women. They are expensive, can cause trouble, and are sometimes hard to understand.

Being a nice guy and letting others fish your ponds or hunt your deer and hogs is generally not advisable.

If Lusk or Cody say it; you can bet that they are right.

There's a lot more and I expect you guys can add to this.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 04/03/17 05:52 AM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP