WE HAVE RIBBONS!!!!!!!!!

last night I walked the pond and nothing, notta. It was cool yesterday and cool over night. Then this morning, 2 ribbons!! Both on the south end of the pond, exactly in the area where the first ribbons showed up last year.

Both exactly like SetterGuy, on the leaves, about 10" water, and I had various branches stages around them, some with tightly clustered smaller branches, some with larger branches and eggs were just laid on the leaves.

I could not make out any individual eggs like Setterguy can, I assume ribbon is 'too fresh'?

It amazes me that Setterguy is much further south with much warmer water temps and his ribbons and mine are so close together datewise. He said his may have been there a week or so but it seems he would beat my eggs by at least 1-2 weeks based on water temps alone.

Maybe phases of moon or number of clear cloudless nights before egg laying makes a difference?

We will be in the 50s for day time highs, will get back down to about 32 tonight. I expect more ribbons this week. Time to harvest them!

Bill C, I have a window of time to get the ribbons out before hatch right? If I take them out now as soon as they show up and store them in something and try to transplant to another private pond when I accumulate a bucket full of egg ribbons, how do I keep them viable? Or is it better to keep them in the pond in place until enough accumulate and then gather all and transfer all at the same time?

Loretta please let us know if you see ribbons soon!

DonoBBD and you folks in Minnesota, please tell us when you see your first ribbons!