Originally Posted By: Redonthehead
Thanks Gents!

Bill - any thoughts on what digging the track hoe could do to facilitate seining or trapping bluegill? Perhaps and "L" shape to run the fish into then seine?

Dave - are you thinking the bluegill could overpopulate the pond in 6 months to the point of a DO issue? I can't justify an aeration system - this is only a short term project to stock a larger pond to be built.

Another question; using a siphon to drain the pond, I understand the ball valve at the outlet behind the dam, and the cleanout on top of the dam to fill the pipe with water. What are people using to hold the water in the pond side of the dam? A one way valve seems reasonable, but I wonder if it hurts the flow rate, or is prone to clogging. I'll have a homemade screen over the inlet.

You don't need a cap over the inlet pipe, or a one way valve. The siphon will start ok if the outlet side is nearly twice as long as the inlet side or longer, and lower than the pond level. The water running out the outlet when you open the valve will create suction and draw water up and out of the pond.