For what it’s worth, I'm with Spark on this fish being held by Josh. That fish he is holding has hybrid genetics. This is why. First go look at some CNBG pictures and look closely at the gill flap. It is ALWAYS pure all black clear to the margin, all along the back border. All pure strain BG always, repeat always, have the gill flap complete black – no noticeable light or colored margin.
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=92482#Post92482

Now go look at HBG pictures in the Archives. The HBG especially those with green sunfish genes always have a boarder on the back edge of the gill flap. This gill flap boarder of coloration comes from the GSF gene pool. Also go look at the gill flaps of the hybrid BG & female bluegill posted by Spark also on pg2. BG has all black flap, hybrid - a border on the flap.
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=256325#Post256325

Now go look very carefully at the gill flap on the fish held by Josh (pg2 of this thread). I clearly see a distinct boarder or margin on the back margin of the black part of the gill flap. CNBG never have this distinct boarder around the gill flap. Actually for the fish in the picture, the distinct boarder surrounds the entire gill flap. The margin is quite evident, but a very light color due to the light hue of the fish living in turbid water. The fish held by Josh could be a CNBG X GSF cross. Regardless of where the fish came from, it has hybrid characteristics due to the unmistakable gill (opercle) flap evidence. The light coloration makes the identification more difficult if one uses coloration as evidence.

Now if you don't believe me go read the technical scientific descriptions of green sunfish and bluegill. Bluegill: opercle membrane is black as opercle spot(Troutman), other source: ear flap black to the edge (Becker); other source: opercular flap entire black edge(Ross).
Green sunfish: "opercular flap with black center and with a broad light colored margin"(Becker)... other source: ear flap is black with a white or yellowish margin(Ross).

Last edited by Bill Cody; 03/27/17 06:36 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management