Originally Posted By: TGW1
This past few days I have been adding brush piles along the shorelines. My pond has zero vegetation and so I needed some thick cover along the shoreline, places where the newborn fish might hide to survive. I have been using 10 to 15' cedar trees, 7' bamboo tied in bundles and 7' willows tied in bundles. 10 brush pies so far with a few more to add this week. Plans are to mix and match them and build a thick places for them to hide for better lmb, cnbg and res recruitment this spring.

Good for you, Tracy! I'm in the same boat (no pun intended) with my pond, zero submerged vegetation, so will try brushpiles & artificial structure.

Impressed that you are mixing cedars, bamboo and willows. My stuff will mostly be sweet gum with brush.

By the way, do you intend to use GPS to locate your brushpiles, or perhaps mark it some other way?

Really looking forward to fertilizing enough to get a bloom. Never came close to happening last year, too acidic. Will also try putting some lime in the main feeder creek.

Last edited by anthropic; 03/17/17 09:20 PM.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160