I just finished the process of digging out 40 year old pond that was filled with silt. The dam was broke in the first year. By the time we started removing the silt, we had dug two trenches through the pond to divert the water. The first trench diverted a small spring fed creek/water way, and the second diverted a spring that only appeared after an LGP Dozer pushed its way into a hole.

The dam was put back much like the process described above. Core trench and clay. After the dam was put back together, we used a large qty of dirt on the back side of the dam to widen the top and create a 3or 4-1 pitch.

Problems encourtered: 1. The pond was a lot deeper than the contractor originally thought. This $5000 project went from 3-4 days to $19300 and 2 1/2 weeks. 2. The mud in the bottom of the pond would have never dried out due to the springs which are now filling the pond. 3. Trucks couldn't get close enough to the Hoe for easy loading, so a dozer was run constantly to push muuuuud to the hoe.

Overall I am happy witht this project, witht the excepion of the unexpected expense. We restructured the dam, the banks, and placed earthen habitat throughout the pond.

I am now examining another possible issue that I will create a new post titled: "seepage or ground water".

Kevin