Hasn't been for years.

Back in the mid to late 70's when in business I had a chart that showed all the origins of mfg for tractors and major components of utility size tractors. The only one I remember being mostly US made was White had what they called American 60 and 80 tractors that were based on the old Oliver 1650 type frame and transmission with a Cummins 4 cyl engine and utility type front axle and tires. That one was mostly if not all American. White American 60 Last one I know of that was American made in anything under 100 hp.

Deere made a big deal when the first 5000 series tractors came out about 20 years ago about being "Made in America". Yeah, right. I have owned a number of the 5000 series and the assembly plant is in Georgia and some of the sheet metal on some of the models was made there, but all you had to do was look under the seat on the ones I had to see the transmission was made in India (pretty sure the name was an India Mfg, if not somewhere else in the East). The engine had a made in France badge. Some of the 3pt linkage had Italy or Japan or I can't remember where. Deere kind of quit pushing the "made in USA' angle when they realized people could actually read. The 5003 series like the 5303 I had was totally made in India. The 5005 series was made in their Mexican factory. Yada, yada, yada.

Tractors under 100 hp are made anywhere and almost everywhere besides the USA. There may be some assembly and "Americanization" done in the US and maybe even some sheet metal or plastic hoods done here, but they are all basically foreign made.

Biggest 4wd track articulated Deere tractor made (over 600 HP) is made in the USA but used a Cummins engine made in China. Right there on the side of the block. Made in China. Seen it myself. Do give them credit though, their 8000 and 9000 series tractors are still made in America (except for things like Japanese starters, alternators and who knows what else) and the JD engines in that size tractors are made in the US. Surprised me that they used a Chinese Cummins in the big one rather than a US produced Cummins.

Hopefully we start seeing more "made in America" badges, but it is going to mean prices will be going up. Can't replace 3 dollar an hour workers with 25 dollar an hour workers and expect to pay the same for the end product. Unless maybe we don't even use people and go mostly to robots.

Last edited by snrub; 03/07/17 09:52 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine