I originally shyed away from ZT mowers because I imagined they would be hard to keep on grade on side hills like my new pond dam. JD dealer somewhat confirmed that they were not the best for sidehill work (his opinion, being an owner and user of one) but encouraged me to take one of their used machines and try it out for a few hours. I liked it better than I thought I would and had the wife drive it (under duress) because if we both ended up mowing I wanted her to be happy with it. She liked it and took right to it.

So then, with ZT mowers under considerarion, started looking around. The JD looked like a good machine and I had friends that were very happy with them.

But then I saw the Bad Boy Outlaw XP and immediately noticed features that would be better for my particular use. First it looked like I would get a lot more mower for the money.......always good. But the real selling points for me beyond good mechanical construction and price compared to value was 1. The suspension system (for my bad back) and 2. the fact that tbe rear drive had a wider stance than the Deere. It was several inches wider at the rear wheels (maybe a negative if you want a narrow deck) and I knew fron running various track farm tractors that tread width was directly proportional to not only steering (turning) power, but also stability on side hills. Those features were important to me.

I was pleasantly surprised the first time I mowed the pond dam. The XP is significantly more stable than my JD3038E with rear mower (fluid and cast wheel weights) and just as stable as my JD5083 cab tractor (also fluid and cast wheel weights) with wheels set to max width. I feel as safe on the XP as anything. With the wider stance it turns well and handles the sidehill mowing well. Althouh a person has to stay more concentrated when handling the two levers compared to the steering wheel of a tractor, I now feel more confident on the ZTurn than my 3038 by far on sidehills. If it gets too steep to go sideways, I can always mow up and down the slope and with zero turn capability, turn around quickly at the top or bottom of the run on flat ground, where a tractor takes much more care and effort to do such manuvreing.

That is just my experience about mowing slopes I wanted to share. I think a narrower tred ZT I would not feel as comfortable on slopes as the wider tread on the machine I have.

Edit: the ZT has a nice low center of gravity with the engine mounted low compared to my small tractor.

Last edited by snrub; 03/06/17 01:26 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine