My main pond was stocked with native northern BG from a local Kansas fish farm. Two years later I stocked my adjacent sediment pond with what Dunn's fish farm out of Oklahoma called CNBG. I say 'what they called' because some on this forum havs speculated they may ba some sort of intergrade rather than pure CNBG. They do have a significant different look than my BG with some white fin tipping, more of a dishpan shape, and the copper band above the eyes. They sell them for stocking ponds as far north as the southern third of Kansas, but they mostly push hybrid BG.

Since then I have moved thousands of the offspring and most of the original CNBG to the main pond as well as overflow water from the sediment pond into the main pond allowing YOY CNBG to flow into the main pond.

Over the years I expect them to interbreed. Will be interesting to see what happens during the catching process to see just how many of each type I catch and see if I can tell through the mixed offspring any blended characteristics. I figure over time nature will tend to promote the best survivor or blend of genes for my particular area.

I'm a mutt lover to begin with so keeping pure lines is not important to me.

Last edited by snrub; 02/26/17 07:38 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine