Originally Posted By: John Monroe
My pictures were really bad. My monitor was lying to what the picture were really looking like and a new monitor isn't right either. So I am so confused. However I am still entering photo contest and doing well.

Color management is really tough these days as most people only have TN monitors, which are rather dull by comparison with IPS/PLS monitors. I have a IPS monitor as my main CAD display at work, with some satellite cheap TN monitors for displaying datasheets. There is a stark difference between the two when seen side-by-side. It is getting bEtter these days due to tablets and phones having excellent displays, but most home PC users have poor monitors.

I have a IPS at home where I do image work (not much lately). I adjust everything to taste on that high-gamut display thinking "wow, that looks really nice!" and then proceed to share it. People like my images, but then I look at it at work on the TN satellites and it looks flat like an old magazine from the 1970s. Then it also becomes web browser dependent. Some browsers like the New MS Edge has color management built in, meaning it adjust color output so images look the same across different monitors, but others, like Chrome, do not.

In general the color industry is a mess.

The debate then becomes: do I over-do it so it looks nicer on the TN monitors, or be and image prude and only target fancy monitors?

Oh well. I have gotten sort of bored with photography lately as my camera is a little weak to do what I would like, and what I would like costs about $5K. I would rather spend that towards a decent car or put it towards a college fund.

Last edited by liquidsquid; 02/17/17 02:48 PM.