Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
Actually you are talking about three different methods with three different purposes. Pump-airline to diffuser is for mixing deeper, larger volumes of water such as an entire pond 0.2-1acre. Venturi creates strong directional flow that is infused with bubbles for a relatively small distribution area. Air lift is a form of pump-airline- diffuser that creates directional flow as opposed to 360 degree distribution or spread of the airlift bottom diffuser. One has to match the method to the goal of what is needed.

BillD has the problem pretty well analyzed. Pumps and aeration will not solve the "weed" problem which is nutrient based. IMO the most efficient use of money and long term effort is to drain, deepen, and rebuild the nutrient enriched small pond. A pond of 4'-6' with clear water is not much more, and can't be expected to be much more than a glorified weedy swamp-wetland unless one creates turbid water or applies a heavy use of algaecides or herbicides.

As mentioned don't expect aeration to control nutrient based plant growth. However the proper weed-algae eating fish could significantly reduce the plant growth and create adequate turbidity that would then reduce future plant growth while continuing to consume most of the recurring plant growth.

I wonder if a fish kill caused the abundant of nutrients as there isnt any farms within 1 mile.

I guess part of the confusion with airlift is all the many youtube videos using different methods but all calling them airlift.

Either way an air pump is cheaper than operating a water pump, correct?

on a side note if I used a 12 volt system I could incorporate solar charging possibly in the mix.

Thanks, I'm totally new yo pond management.