Originally Posted By: esshup
I believe they are making replacement LED fluorescent bulbs too. Remove ballast, re-wire ends and use the LED bulbs. No need to replace the fixture.

I am the technical director for an LED company in Ontario. Anyone need any advice on LED lighting feel free to drop me a PM.

Direct fluorescent bulb replacement to LED is still not worth it. The reason behind that is that the tube is measured by the following. T12 bulb is "T" stands for tube, and 12 stands for 12, 8ths of an inch in diameter. 12/8th is 1.5" in diameter. LEDs need to be placed on a flat surface PCB board. The only area allowed in the tube replacement is the length and diameter of the bulb. This area will not give enough space to mount enough LED's even in the high power 5050 LED to give the light fluorescent can. If you try to over clock the LED you can get enough room for aluminum heat transfer blocks to keep the LED alive for any sort of time.

We have found still to this day with the highest power 135Lm per watt we can't make the same light in the same space.

The very new and most impressive LED right now is the filament LED. Most amount of light produced from a 360 degree bulb yet and with the new tech created from the butt of a firefly the light output will be in the range of 200Lm per watt. Now 200Lm-300Lm per watt there will not be any other light in the world than LED. It will be the most efficient with heat and light output.

We have a 60watt light that is a replacement for the 400MH high-bay lights and I personally have been using them in my shop for 5 years with no problems.

Cheers Don.

EDIT: best colour temp for the human eye is 5700K, called Natural White. Any more than that you can damage the rods in your eye when looking at the light. Any less the colour perceived is incorrect.

Last edited by DonoBBD; 02/12/17 10:35 AM.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.