As an example, imagine a new pond situated on your picture between the current pond and the position where the number 14 is (next to the last satelite picture in the series). The dam would run paralell to the creek behind it (so no creek water would enter this new pond). Notice this would take the water source for the pond completely out of the stream source and out of the way of fish coming down stream. No more fish contamination problems.

Now notice that in the field pictured to the right in your pictures it is terraced. But there appears to be no waterway. It appears the terrace dumps out into your pasture (they do not do that much any more but common earlier). This is to your advantage if you need watershed for a pond. Simply continue this terrace to your new pond location if needed, or depending on the lay of the land, the water might already end up there. If more watershed is needed create a terrace paralell to the existing creek to the NE to gather more water for the pond. Maybe even from not only the north but to the SE if needed and depending on the lay of the land.

That may or may not be enough watershed. In SE Ks it would be more than enough likely but I know you get lots less rain. The NRCS has all the records and recomendations for what size watershed you need for a pond. Too much watershed and you get lots of flowthrough and maybe sedimentation problems. Not enouh and water levels drop too much between significant rains. NRCS has the data needed to figure out optimum watershed size.

More is not always better. It can lead to dam failure or excessive construction costs to handle the high water flow rates over the overflow. Water coming from ponds above that are already stocked is always problematic.

Not trying to tell you what to do with your property. Only trying to give you ideas of options you may not have considered.

Check out my new RES pond where I use terraces to modify where my water comes from and how much. Here is the same link as above. Look towards the end of the thread.

RES pond

Last edited by snrub; 02/09/17 10:07 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine