Thanks Bill.

That 59F degrees Darnell said his ponds run at sounded okay to me as well for trout. I've read in countless places that around 68F degrees is where trout begin to be stressed. This pond definitely reaches and maintains 66F degrees all summer, according to my records from last year.

At 1pm today the bottom temp is 45F, and surface temp is 50F. pH reads 7.43 at surface. Summer readings were consistently 7.15-7.16. Temp of one of the feeder springs reads 52F, and 6.97-7.00pH. I state a range for pH because my electronic meter didn't settle on one or the other. Normally it will, but that's pretty close range anyway.

Update on dimensions I just verified today: 95' x 65' rough oval. (you've seen the photo of it).

After building my $1000 dual panel setup, I'm still not completely sold a SOLAR powered aerator is the answer for a healthy pond. Near the equator perhaps, where sun is the norm. Sure we got a LOT of sunlight hours here in western CO, but it is cloudy a fair bit as well. And what about aerating at NIGHT? Is that important? How long of when the aerator runs during a day is potentially enough to sustain fish overnight year-round?

A few more points here: Eventually, I'd really like to get LMB, BG, and YP in this pond for good dinner plate offerings.

Also, oval shape of the redone pond would definitely be easiest. Darnell has built many ponds, so he knows well how to do it correctly. As per Bob Lusk's page I linked to earlier, the center ought to ideally be the deepest, where the diffuser will sit and circulate completely. I'll give you all the specs of my aerator setup if you'd like sometime to see if I will need to have ready a bigger system, once the pond is dug twice as deep as it is. (Shooting for about 10-15 feet deep.

Admittedly, after talking with Darnell, who owns all the necessary heavy equipment right next door here, I am getting excited to transform this pond into something GREAT. Easily maintainable, healthy, full of various species of fish is the goal. I suppose that's the case with nearly every pond [owner] though. smile