Ok, here goes nothing…

I purchased the land about 3 months ago and I’ll be putting a house on it in a year or two. The pond is about 1.75 acres according to google acreage calculator, and I am looking to make some modifications to its depth for sure, and possibly expanding it.

According to Google Earth (highly recommended to see the history of your land) there was work done on it between 2010 and Feb of 2012, which included digging some dirt out and adding rock to the dam. It looks like the concrete spillway was added in 2012 as well. Every image has it holding water since 2010, and only dry once since 2002.

July 2010:

Feb 2012:

Feb 2013:

March 2014:

July 2015:

The pond to the south had the same type of work done at the same time.

There are over a dozen trees on the water side of the dam that have been there since 2002. I understand the risks of these trees and will need to make a decision: keep them and trim them, or remove the entire dam and start over. I need to identify each tree and act accordingly if I don’t remove it all.

There is some erosion on the east side of the dam from this past summer. We were in a flood warnings atleast 4-5 times this year (which is not normal). I am assuming that the concrete drain was clogged and couldnt handle the flow. I definitely need to clean it out.

I had the local conservation biologist come out and walk the land. He sent me a ton of info on the soil composition and properties, topographical map, drainage area, and some quail brochures.

Last edited by blavis; 08/01/17 12:09 PM.