thanks for the advice guys! Unfortunately at this time the association has not set aside any funds for the pond - they'r more interested in improving the trail and building a floating dock for fishing. I don't think draining the pond at this time will be viable as I'm basically on my own.

When the upper pond property was for sale a few years back the realtor told us it was stocked with bluegill, crappie, bass and catfish. that pond was built with a stand off drain and an emergency spillway, mine uses a siphon drain for what its worth.

So far this winter I've thinned the bluegills by 50+ by ice fishing and should be able to remove plenty more before ice out.

I'm more interested in having a quality bunch of bluegill over bass. I figured if I could get some decent bulls on beds and thin the stunted population it might be possible to increase the overall average bluegill size over time. There are two local strains of bluegills I can use to supplement the pond with; both are extremely aggressive feeding and fast growing. I also have no problem getting appropriately sized bass and HSB from local waters. Right now the only predators are GBH

Mat Peirce
1.25 acre southeast Iowa pond
LMB, BG, YP, WE, HSB, RES, BCP