FishmanDan,

I apologize for the slight hijack but maybe it will provide some benefit to you as well.

Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
....One of the big negatives that I have seen with the gizzard shad(GSD) is when plankton becomes limiting, the GSD will begin foraging in the sediments for benthic algae, detritus and organic based sediment as food sources. Depending on specifics and morphometry of the pond/like basin, the bottom GSD foraging often leads to turbid water. Muddy, turbid water to the point of it strongly suppressing light penetration for plankton growth. Cloudy water then perpetuates due to bottom foraging shad, lack of plankton to properly feed shad, and this then impacts all the other pond members including the biggest bass in pond food web that directly and indirectly depend on phyto and zooplankton as the basis for productivity.

As always, thanks for educating me Bill.

Guys, Last questions I promise.

I understand now the GSD stir up the bottom if the plankton becomes limited and the possible downsides of that event. What do the TFS do for chow when the plankton is limited?

From an "appropriate size forage" standpoint, it seems to me it is better to have a double digit bass expend energy to catch 1 large GSD than the energy required to catch several TFS. Is that an incorrect assumption? Is it maybe TFS are easier to catch?

Is there a time when GSD are appropriate in a stocking plan?

Thanks,

Bill D.

Last edited by Bill D.; 01/24/17 09:26 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!