Here is one study finding to think about. No tilapia in this study as IIRC AL did not allow them.

PRIVATELY-OWNED SMALL IMPOUNDMENTS OF CENTRAL ALABAMA: A SURVEY AND EVALUATION OF MANAGEMENT TECHNIQUES AND ENHANCEMENTS
Norman Victor Haley, III

Auburn University

Bluegill
Negative interaction between bluegill and threadfin shad has been a concern when stocking threadfin shad into small impoundments; in particular, the effects of interspecific competition between bluegill and threadfin shad for zooplankton and its potential to reduce bluegill recruitment, adult condition, and density have been of interest (Tharatt 1966; Miller 1971; DeVries and Stein 1990; DeVries et al. 1991). I found that ponds that contained threadfin shad had some of the lowest zooplankton densities when compared to other management strategies. If threadfin shad were negatively affecting bluegill, I would have expected to see length-frequency distributions skewed towards shorter lengths, lower CPUE of stock-size bluegill, lower Wr, higher probability of occurring in quadrant 2 or 4 (i.e. bluegill PSD ≥20), and higher bluegill PSD in ponds where threadfin shad were stocked. Because bluegill size structure, CPUE, Wr, and PSDs, and quadrant probabilities were similar across all fertilized and threadfin shad enhanced ponds, I conclude that threadfin shad did not negatively affect bluegill in fertilized small impoundments.

Last edited by ewest; 01/24/17 11:44 AM.