"Natural" and "self sustaining" are mostly in the eyes of the beholder.

I can say absolutely that the pond can become natural and self sustaining but in the same sentence say it is highly unlikely that state is what you have envisioned.

"Natural" is for the pond to eventually fill in, become a wetland, and finally dry ground in a few hundred years.

But for the pond to become "natural looking" by whatever your vision of that is will take a considerable effort over time. And yes, at some point it likely will have slime and nasty looking stuff in it. That is part of natures plan but unlikely yours. To keep a pond looking like some envisioned state involves it being a labor of love, in my opinion. But often the pond can become something relatively acceptable with considerable less work.

From what you describe, do a google search for "John Monroe pond boss forum" or something similar. John has purposely "mostly" let his pond evolve naturally. I say mostly because even he has had to do modifications to what naturally evolved to get something he was happy with.

Most people do not really want "natural". They want their own version of what they envision they want nature to be. Getting "natural" is easy. It takes no effort or input on your part because nature will certainly take care of the pond the way it wants it. But that natural state is very likely NOT the way you envision it.

Edit: I guess that was a pretty negative sounding post, but I think it is realistic. On a more positive note, welcome to the world of ponds and it can be a wonderful experience managing one. When we are home there is rarely a day goes by that I am not around our pond for at least a short while, and often for quite a while each day. It is a source of great pleasure for my wife and I.

Last edited by snrub; 01/14/17 09:09 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine