I posted these questions awhile back and I'm still working on answers....

Originally Posted By: Bill D.
I’m now wondering whether my PS spawning may actually be a necessity in providing enough forage as we move into 2017. I also have a few GSH (stable small population) and stocked in 2016 SFS, BNM and PSC in the pond. I also supplemental feed pellets (This spring it will be Optimal BG chow)

Questions:

1) Do PS stay more active as the water cools than the BG do; maybe making the PS perhaps more elusive with a better chance at recruitment?

2) I would think the SMB and WE will also target small SMB and YP. Can BG and PS together provide enough additional forage for the predators I have with good management of predator numbers?

3) Should I stock more adult BG?

4) Should I start harvesting some of the larger YP?

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated! smile

I've been doing some research and I THINK I might have an answer to question 1.

While both BG and PS are considered "warm water" species, their temperature tolerance ranges overlap. BG have a greater tolerance to warmer waters but PS have a greater tolerance to cooler waters. This makes me consider that small PS might be more active in cooler waters than small BG; making PS less susceptible to predation by cool water predators in early spring and late fall than small BG.

Anybody have any thoughts, experience or comments they can share?

Last edited by Bill D.; 01/14/17 08:44 AM. Reason: Typo

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!