Moved into new home last summer and we own about 1/3 of a 13 acre wetland pond. Built a greenhouse last fall and got a crash course in state permitting on a wetland property, so I have a lot more to learn about what I can and can't do according to the DEC here in NY.

Our pond/wetland is beautiful and teeming with life. Wood ducks, great blue heron, geese, and dozens of other kinds of birds. I'm a fly-fisher originally from CO and haven't caught anything yet in this pond. I've seen fish and lots of snapping turtles, but I don't know what kinds are in here. The neighbor has caught bass.

Problems I could use help/advice:
- At least 3/4 of the pond is covered with water lilies during the summer. We'd like to have more open water though. It would be great if the lilies covered much less of the pond.
- There is a ton of leaf debris/muck in the bottom and from what people have said, the pond seems to be much less deep than it was 30 years ago. I'm not sure how to tell how much of this muck is on the bottom and if it was degraded would it increase the pond depth.
- Any advice from others in NY about what DEC will allow and not allow (e.g. bacteria additions, fish?)
- What kinds of water quality measurements should I take? I have a science degree (which I don't use anymore), but the inner-nerd wants to gather data to help.

Anything I'm missing? We'd just love to be sure this pond is as healthy as possible and good for fishing of course ;-)

Dave