Still in the design stage of my pond project. Building in south Carolina and finding very little activity on this site from residents here. Wondering if someone could comment, clarify, explain, what is meant by this document that I found on pond construction and management on the SC DNR website. I'll try to attach link and type up the excerpt:

pondconst

'The ideal depth of a pond is 6-8 feet. Most biological production occurs near the water surface and water deeper than 8 feet is of little value as fish habitat. Very deep water(>10') may even create conditions that lead to oxygen depletions and fish kills during the summer. About 25% of the pond's area should be allotted to shallow habitat, between three and four feet.'

I must admit that reading some folks on here with ponds 25', 30' or deeper seems excessive to me but then again that may be necessary depending on where the pond is and what the goals are for it.

I have talked to two pond builders but didn't get far in the discussion other than they offered to come look at the property once it's bought(offer put in and awaiting word from realtor). My research and my instinct tells me I want a pond in the 15-20 max depth. The surface area I'm shooting for is in the 2-3 acre range as the lay of the land and budget allows. What I'm anticipating once I bring pond contractors in is that they will question my desire for a pond deeper than(gasp!) the DNR recommends. Wait til I tell them I want a siphon overflow and not a standard metal stand pipe. I hate to knock my state but I would estimate that a vast majority of ponds here are built by dirt pushers and not experienced pond builders.

So how do I determine what depths I should be shooting for for a pond in SC? Thanks to this site I have been researching aerators and will try to swing a setup if not at construction within a year or two after. I also read about the trick to lower the water levels 3-4 feet during the winter to cut back on the shallow water vegetation so I'd like to be able to do that as necessary. Both of these variables will either allow or require water deeper than 8 feet in my opinion.

That brings up my final question; can anyone recommend a really good pond builder that does work in Kershaw County, SC?