In my area, I know of very few actual fish farms, just fish stockers. Very few carry fish over from year to year to assure quality. That's why it is wise to sight check stocker fish. The much maligned fish trucks, IN MY AREA, are getting small fish from Arkansas producers. It's almost a cottage industry in some parts of the State.

My first stocking of BG's was a whole lot of years ago from a pay to fish catfish place that also sold stockers. I wound up with some GSF and didn't know the difference. Since I have become a GSF fan, it is now OK with me.

I recommend only buying 2 to 3 inch or longer BG's, CNBG's and RES. It takes a well trained eye to discern the difference in 1 inch stockers. And, as Dave Willis once told me, well trained isn't always good enough. Another reason, per Lusk, is that handling of 1 inch fish can cause a lot of mortalities.

Ever wonder how that bullhead got into the catfish pond? The stork or other bird didn't bring it.

I figured out years ago that building, stocking and maintaining a hole in the ground with water and fish is expensive. It takes the place of Corvettes, race horses, expensive whiskey and other questionable choices. And a well thought out stocking plan is the cheapest, but most overlooked, part of the process.

Another train wreck is the friend that catches nice fish in another pond and helps you with the stocking of your new pond.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP