In our northern pond settings above the Ohio River, very good top end size of bass in my opinion would be 7-8 lbs. Commonly expect 5-6lbs as your better sized bass in one acre or less ponds. Keep in mind that ponds 1 acre or less will only have a couple to a few bass this big unless you are doing very good management and proper harvesting to produce more numbers of these larger bass. Often in the smaller ponds it is only one bass that is the biggest and "the top dog". It is due to some of nature's basic rules.

Note that these larger bass have seen anglers lures and have been Jaw Jerked many times and this/these wise old fish are pretty difficult to catch. See them but catching them is quite a different story unless the pond is rarely fished. If rarely fishing for the bass,,, how can one adequately harvest smaller bass to promote more bigger bass other than electroshocking?. I wish some expert would provide this need to know answer.

Myself since having a BG-LMB pond for 35 years with various types of bass size categories at different times, I prefer the more numbers, relatively easy to catch bass of the 2.5-4 pound aggressive bass grouping as a good high quality bass fishery. Lusk or some other 'expert' needs to write about how to produce these various size groupings of LMbass for different types of goals. It is not always about trophy 10 lb bass.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 01/08/17 05:27 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management