From what I have gathered by reading lots of posts over several years about feeding rates, hardly anyone full feeds. Hardly anyone feeds anywhere near that 10 pounds per acre level Bill C warns about as potential water quality problems. Much more common is in the one to three pound per acre range. So nearly everyone is supplemental feeding rather than satiation feeding.

I would think the closer the person gets to full feed rate, the more important the feed quality becomes. Once the fish is 100% dependent on the feed for sustenance, feed quality becomes all important. But if the fish is getting 10% of its requirements? Of course 10% of the fish may be eating 90% of tthe feed, so for that 10% of likely the fastest growers it could be very important.

I think it gets back to goals. My fish grew satisfactory for me back when all I had was 32% sinking and floating catfish feeds when I did not know any better. But those going for the gold ring it likely would not have been good enough.

I'm no expert John but I would agree that the early growth is important. My small 2-3" BG would cruise up to waters edge and stare at me waiting for their AM400 when I was hand feeding it to them. I would feed it very near shore so the bigger fish would not steal all of it. Those small fish went after it like a kid goes for candy.

Last edited by snrub; 01/06/17 12:32 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine