I have seen and used Sportsmen Choice. The bag was given to me by a pond guy whose fish ate it poorly because the fish (BG) were used to AMax. I fed the stuff to my minnows and tilapia. If I had a food choice I would first go with Optimal, then Zeigler, then AMax-Rangen, and use Sportsmen Choice as the last product of the four. I fed Amax for years back when it was Purina trout chow and the only fish food commonly available. There are other general catfish foods available sold as 32%-36% protein of various brands.

If your goal is to grow great sportfish then IMO you want a higher quality protein (40%-42%) food. The higher protein builds body mass faster. Another thing to consider is quality and type of food components that result in a minimal amount of body waste compared to the nutritional benefit that the fish gets. Optimal has been shown to result in a minimal amount of fish waste compared to the amount of food ingested and weight gain. Optimal was originally designed for fish in recirculation systems when fish waste and growth are very important to the final product. Less waste produced is actually in the end more bang for the buck.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 01/02/17 04:59 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management