Originally Posted By: Bill D.
.... Hopefully, the now reproducing PS population, along with harvest of CC and LMB (only a few left of each), will take some of the pressure off the BG allowing them to get a few more recruits into the 3 to 6 inch size class.. .....

When I first stocked my pond one concern was that the BG would probably over populate as my small mouthed predators (YP, SMB and WE) would most likely be unable to control their population. As of this fall, just the opposite seems to be the case. The BG are unable to provide many recruits larger than 3 inches. I have struggled to understand why that is. A post by Ewest in another thread started maybe shedding some light. To paraphrase, “the cool water YP eat a lot of small BG when the water cools in the fall as the BG slow down but the YP are still going strong.” If I extend that thought to the same principle probably applies to the SMB and WE, who are eating slightly larger BG than the YP, and that I have a few LMB and CC, then maybe the reason I have such poor BG recruitment becomes more clear. Add to that my pond is in Northern Illinois and that the BG only spawn 3 times (in a good year), might add another piece to the puzzle. I’ve spent a lot of time going thru old threads to see if I could find any evidence that folks have succeeded in establishing a cool species pond with BG as forage. I found this old thread.

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=10096&page=1

One post in that old thread that really caught my attention…

Originally Posted By: lakedoctor
....This is all about stocking rates and the size of the smallies when stocked.The smb that I like to stock is between 4to8" If the bluegill is stocked at a rate of .50 normal rates then the only thing that is going to be overpopulated is the fishermen on the bank.The SMB will keep the bluegill pop. in tact they don't target the big bluegill because well the name says it all Smallmouth. But the fry to 3" size is fair game and in the north it makes a nice balance. The only thing that I didn't add was the channels.Stock these at below normal rates last 4to6" is good.I have stocked 3to4 ponds this way and all are doing better than the large mouth at growth and population balance.The owners are happy and won't let me take my best friend fishing.The Smb are 4years old and are between 3.5 to almost 5 pounds with plenty of huge bluegill to throw on the dinner plate.This type of pond needs to be monitored close to keep a good balance but is well worth it. DOC

I’m now wondering whether my PS spawning may actually be a necessity in providing enough forage as we move into 2017. I also have a few GSH (stable small population) and stocked in 2016 SFS, BNM and PSC in the pond. I also supplemental feed pellets (This spring it will be Optimal BG chow)

Questions:

1) Do PS stay more active as the water cools than the BG do; maybe making the PS perhaps more elusive with a better chance at recruitment?

2) I would think the SMB and WE will also target small SMB and YP. Can BG and PS together provide enough additional forage for the predators I have with good management of predator numbers?

3) Should I stock more adult BG?

4) Should I start harvesting some of the larger YP?

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated! smile

Last edited by Bill D.; 12/26/16 08:11 PM. Reason: After thought

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!