Thanks RAH and 1/4 Acre!

RAH, to your point I'm a little nervous about mud water, but that is mostly because this is just an unknown puddle to me at the moment. I think if I were to empty it completely out I may be less nervous about it. I don't mind the mud and dirt too much but if it's not crazy amounts of work why not shoot for a clear mountain pond! I guess what I'm trying to determine now is what equates to crazy amounts of work...

1/4 Acre, while I don't have first hand experience with the kind of pond I'm speaking of, in Europe, they seem to make it work relatively well where most of the filtering is actually done with strategic planting. There's a decent chance I'm missing something but so far I can't determine what it is.

I think part of my question is can I do a hybrid pond between the fishing holes that are popular here and the swimming ponds seen mostly in Europe. In saying that most of the swimming ponds do seem to have the walled pit. I'm not entirely sure how it really has an effect other than just not having the pond exposed to as much dirt, but I'm considering options there too. I may be able to acquire a decent amount of stone and do something as seen here or here, which I think is incredibly lovely but I'm also not seeing the various work that has gone into them or the money spent... I think if I could seal the bottom then apply gravel and stone that would be ideal, but man it's a bit scary to start a project like this thinking "well, maybe it'll work..."

Snort Coffee is a podcast about goofy stuff. Hope to add ponding to my list of hobbies.