Wow, what a thread of info!

I have yet to start really measuring water loss in my pond. I know in the spring is was fullish but no idea how deep but it does seem to lose water much more quickly than from evap. It looks like SoilFloc may be a good option but I have some questions I didn't see addressed, though I can make some assumptions...

SoilFloc apparently doesn't harm fish, as least as long as it's not thrown right on them, how does it treat people? My pond, while likely to have wildlife in it, will be primarily a swimming hole. Will this cause any problems when my kids accidentally drink the water?

I see everyone talking about how slippery it is. My plan is to likely have like pea-gravel beach where we walk into the pond (and a diving rock). Is there a method to apply the SoilFloc in this situation where it doesn't turn into a slip-n-slide? Could I apply at full pool, then add the gravel beach a bit later? Could that go for the whole pond? I'm looking for crystal clear water at full depth, if possible, and I'm reading that plant life and a decent circulation, along with gravel for microbes and junk to stick to, is the best way to achieve that. Could I SoilFloc the whole deal and put gravel in over the top of that that could be walked on or altered after the SoilFloc takes hold?

Does SoilFloc seem like a good option if you have very little previous knowledge of ponds in general and it seems as though my pond was just dug as a hole to fill up with water? I don't know that there was any legit prep of the hole...

Thanks everyone for the stories above, learning lots!

Edited to ask more questions!

Last edited by aighead; 12/16/16 02:28 PM.

Snort Coffee is a podcast about goofy stuff. Hope to add ponding to my list of hobbies.