Originally Posted By: james holt
look at what this big cat has been eating lots of smaller fish I am removing catfish by the hundreds of pounds but still have too many. we have had two large groups catching them but still too many. be careful about stocking catfish

James,

I checked the forum this evening and thought there was something wrong when I saw this topic.

This was basically the title of my very first post on Pond Boss many years ago.

Too Many Big Catfish

It was only a few years after that when you provided coolers full of catfish, and some exceedingly sharp and fine filet knives, that we used at an early Pond Boss conference to teach people how to clean and filet them.

Although I'm not at my ponds much anymore, I still have my love-hate relationship with these critters. They grow fast with few issues. To me, they are one of the most versatile and delicious table fish available, being able to substitute for a wide variety of freshwater and saltwater species. But, as you and I know, they sure can make themselves very unwelcome as they become adults.

I had mine under control for a number of years. Unfortunately, I'm again dealing with some real monsters in the main pond. Mine know how not to get caught. One of my favorite neighbors, who has my written permission to hunt and fish my land at any time, let his niece and her boyfriend fish there a few months ago. He knows my rules, and has put similar rules in place on his farm. The kids (in their 20s) caught one of the monsters one evening. THEY RELEASED IT!

I've got a number of them in the +30 inch category, some that I'm sure are again over 36 inches. They take a real toll on every thing but my hybrid striped bass.

I plan to put the farm up for sale next year and don't know what to do with this particular pond. The big rogue cats have destroyed my pride-and-joy trophy bluegill. They have nearly wiped out the LMB population. The only good thing is that the black crappie that neighborhood kids snuck into this pond years ago, now seem to be gone.

I'm thinking I may drain and lime the pools of this pond next week when I get back to the farm from here in North Carolina. Then start over -- with only HBG and HSB.

Thankfully, I've the smaller put-and-take pond above this pond with very small numbers of channel cats, hybrid bluegill, hybrid striped bass, and winter trout. Everybody knows that any and all catfish, no matter their size, don't get thrown back. This pond is now about six years old. So far so good. Lots of fun. Lots of good eating.

James, I don't have any good answers for your dilemma. I can only sympathize, but on a much smaller scale.

Regards,
Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!