Getting vegetation to survive/thrive when there are large water level fluctuations during the year can be challenging. I thought there might be some value to some folks with ponds like mine, with large water fluctuations, to share what I have done so far to establish what I consider desirable vegetation that can survive/thrive when water levels vary 4 or 5 feet thru the year in a Northern Illinois water table pond. I’m not saying I did it right or got it right, just sharing what I have done. The vegetation I’ve introduced to our pond so far was planted at low pool at the waterline or in a few inches of water. Exception was the lilies that were planted in 18 inches of water. I planted everything using a method RAH here on the forum recommended which was to plant the transplants in pond soil contained in burlap pouches and then just toss them in. For me, it worked great! If anybody has had success with other plants with large level fluctuations or has other thoughts, please jump in and share your experience or comments!

My hope is that all this vegetation will help control FA but you will see FA in most photos so I haven’t won the battle…yet!

Hardstem Bulrush

American Pond Weed (I think). This showed up on its own.

Redtip Eel grass (courtesy of a thoughtful PBF member). First year for this so we will have to wait and see how well it does.

Small Leaf Pond Weed. This also showed up on its own.

Common Spike Rush

Pickerelweed. Nice purple flowers most of the summer.

One of the Hardy Lilies its first year. We have three varieties.

Duck Potato. This has done very well and can now be found in many locations around the pond.

We also planted a couple Yellow Flag Iris this past summer so we hope they will take hold and add more color to the marginals. In addition, there appears to be a patch of cattails starting which I will be watching closely and keeping under control.

Last edited by Bill D.; 11/20/16 07:42 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!