Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
I have a home mad one with galvanized wire. It's the size of a 30 gallon barrel. I've used small traps next to it of both black coated and uncoated with no discernable difference in catch rates.

Dave,

When you say "black coated," are they painted black or coated with black vinyl? Are your black traps well used and pretty old or are they relatively new additions to your pond management tool box?

To this uneducated eye, your experience indicates to me there is more to it than just trap color. Perhaps species to be trapped, density of fish, habitat the trap is placed in, etc. are variables that can come into play making a definitive result difficult. One thing I find interesting is your results do indicate that the galvanized does at least as well as the black. That is one finding that seems to run true thru all the info so far. I have yet to see anything that says the black out performs the galvanized under any conditions.

Perhaps another consideration is smell. When something is coated in vinyl, I can smell it. I would think fish can too. What about a painted trap? Yes it is a different color but can the fish smell the paint where maybe they can't smell the galvanized trap or maybe the smell is not as offensive? Is smell just as/more important than color?

Last edited by Bill D.; 11/11/16 08:37 PM. Reason: Clarification

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!