Originally Posted By: Bill D.
Thanks Dave,

Taking your and Esshup's experience into consideration suggests a hypothesis that a shiny galvanized trap works better as an all purpose trap for all species.... may be worth investigating.

Ewest,

Do you remember anymore about the old article or do you know if there is a way I can find or order a copy? I see no value in me repeating the study on trap color/finish if it has already been done.

Thanks to a thoughtful PBF member for sending me a copy, I read the old Cutting Edge article on trap color today.

To paraphrase.... The article supported the hypothesis that a galvanized trap works better as an all purpose trap for all species than a black one does. In their study, the galvanized caught more of every species tested (up to 5 times more of some species) than did a black vinyl coated trap, with the exception of redbelly dace. The article did not go into detail on the testing with the redbelly dace so it is not clear if the black trap was better or equivalent in performance of trapping that species.

A question not addressed was whether it was the black color or the vinyl coating or both that made the fish less likely to enter the black vinyl trap.

My conclusion after reading the article is, if given the opportunity to buy a galvanized trap or a black vinyl coated one, buy the galvanized. This is also supported by Esshup's tests.

The jury is still out in my mind on whether galvanized is the absolute best finish. I think I might still do additional testing using a galvanized trap as the control and evaluate other colors against it.

Last edited by Bill D.; 11/10/16 07:27 PM. Reason: Clarification

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!