Originally Posted By: esshup
Welcome to the forum. I would be concerned with O2 first, and water temp second. You don't want the winter water temp to go much below 2.5°C. Typically the water at the bottom of the pond during the winter will be around 3.9°C.

If you have a few inches of ice and a few inches of snow, the O2 levels will start dropping due to no sunlight penetrating into the water. Winter aeration with the bottom diffusers no deeper than 1/3 the total water depth and keeping an area or areas open that equal to 1/10th to 1/20th of the total pond area should be enough.

Hi Esshup
Thanks for the nice welcome, and the reply. The pond is 1-4 m deep. I use a diffuser in the deep end of the pond. It enough to keep an open hole in the ice. If I want to measure the temperature during the winter, does anyone have an ide how to do it? An automatic way to do it would be greate smile

Subscribe to "The 1.000.000 Gallon Koipond" on YouTube, and be a part of the transformation from a malodorous pond in the scrubland, to a healthy pond surrounded by a well kept park!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAxjsVb09IAap-bhIjO9-Og