Hey fellows, I did a precise measurement today of my flow rate! We tried 5 gallon buckets but the kids couldn't hold it long enough to time it correctly so we found a 2.5 gallon bucket and it filled consistently at 25 seconds. That is a 6GPM flow which I do not believe is terrible during severe drought conditions.

I am not a pond builder (of course) but I would believe a core trench and key way would be about the same thing. I cut a 2 bucket width trench, about 5 foot deep all the way around the low side of the pond where any dirt needed built up. If your standing on the high side the key or core trench went from about 7 o clock around to 5 o clock. It didn't go all the way around for the same reason we didn't compact the high side hill, my excavator didn't think it was needed.

The shame of all this is, I didn't know this site existed prior to digging and only found it AFTER I started getting scared! I'm still holding at 75" deep. I'm glad I pounded an iron rod in the ground and taped a tape measure to it, that way I have a fairly precise measurement. Also, coming home from church today we noticed three ponds that were lower than I have ever seen them. I don't know what types they are but they are old ones that I never noticed were low before. The one was 4 feet low and the others were around three feet low.

Can anyone comment of the broadcasting of sodium bentonite from my earlier post? Could it hurt? Could it possibly mess up the soil flok if needed?