Just thought I'd share my structure attempts from last weekend. My wife and coworkers are considerate enough to say "that's cool", but I know you all will really appreciate it.

I started with Osage Orange root wads and some cedars that were removed from the old dam and added some rocks that were exposed from all the renovation and some from the creek. I began by placing the wads in the 4 foot to 6 foot deep areas (located with a transit). Then I retrieved some wet clay silt mud from the bottom where the pond had ground water seeping in and used it like mortar to construct rock stacks that created a bowl or pocket for ready mix. This mud mortar was mostly packed in from the outside so that the ready mix could ooze into the crevasses from the inside and hopefully hold most of the rocks in place after the mud mortar eventually washes out. I also drove some large nails into the limbs of the root wads where the concrete would be poured to give it a little more holding power. I have read that the wads do not typically move or float around, but my pond will have 3 feet of freeboard due to a large watershed and I could not resist the extra effort to ensure their stability.

Once the small rock walls where constructed, I started adding the ready mix and smaller creek rock as it filled all the while adding extra roots or limbs. I think you will enjoy the results without the back aches and sore hands that I am currently recovering from. With all the rock on my property, I'll have a hard time not gathering more rock to add to the piles...

EDIT: after the change in pbucket's 3rd party hosting rules, I have tried to add my photo's back to the thread and it may be a bit disjointed.

Attached Images
Pond renovation 2016 (43Z).jpg Pond renovation 2016 (42Z).jpg
Last edited by Quarter Acre; 07/26/17 08:05 AM.

Fish on!,
Noel