Have you tried using a pellet that you feed them for bait? Most of the trout in my trout pond are so conditioned to eat pellets that you have to match the hatch. Since the pellets are too hard to put a hook into we stretch a little panty hose over the pellet and tie it off. Then you run a small hook into the hose and you're in business. If you feed floating feed you should be able to put two or three together this way and cast out without even using a weight or float. You want it to float anyway and it will for a while if you do not add any weight.

Some like to add a regular float or clear float up the line a ways for extra casting weight or even use a fly rod. Either way as soon as the pellet gets engulfed set the hook and hold on for dear life.

I have taken trout in the 11 pound range this way. BTW, I have had people tie up or paint pellet imitations and most of the trout will ignore it. It seems they can smell the pellet.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.