I'm probably going to go RC's route. I like diy stuff too. I do not nor will have the extra money to spend on a TH. I have the catalog and BOY do I want one...but I have to many other projects that have to be done. I'm hand feeding now, so anything would be better than that. I'm on my pond daily...if only to feed, so checking is not a problem, pond is about 100 yards away from house. I have two older deer feeder hoppers that are plastic. May end up getting a TH motor kit though. Although the wild game innovations one at walmart might be the way to go. If I have problems you take it back to walmart and get a replacement most of the time. At less than $50 I could replace 2 1/2 of them for the price of the one TH kit. Although it will not be the quality...probably won't fling feed so far either. I'm going to the 360 route like RC and float it. Just think its pretty cool myself. Would I get a TH if I had the money...you bet!!! But its nice that we have options and ways around it so you can even feed on a budget. More money goes to buying the feed that way. lol