TJ has been encourageing me to share my story so here goes.
We capped my pond the day before Thanksgiving 2015. It is not very large - about 1/2 acre and 15 feet at its deepest point. By Christmas it was full pond and beautiful. We stocked with some trout and had a great time catching them early Spring. On April 9th I bought BG, RES, LMB, and FHM to stock. When stocking I noticed the pond was a couple of inches low. That was the beginning of a long spring and summer of watching the pond lose about 6 feet of water. I estimate I was losing between .5 to an inch a day. We finally determined that the leak was in the basin of the pond probably because it had not been packed well.
In July I tried spreading Bentonite over the pond. The depth was still about 9 feet but the loss of water continued. I had no idea where the water was going - no wet spots, way too much loss for only evaporation. I was sick about my new project.
I begain to read about SoilFloc on this sight and wondered if it would work for me.
I contacted TJ and we talked a few times about my situation. He was a great help and walked me though some testing procedures to determine what might be happening and exactly how much I was losing per day.
In August, I finally ordered 3 units of SoilFloc and made my application plans.
The first evening we tried to apply, it got dark on us and we had to quit. The second evening we atempted an application, the wind got up and we had to stop.
Finally, early in Saturday morning everything was perfect. We applied the product just as TJ has suggested and as I had read about in this thread.
After about a week, I noticed that my water loss had slowed considerably. Since we were in the midst of a severe drought I wasn't seeing the water level increase but my water loss all but stopped. My pond is spring fed so I guess what we coming in offset the evaporation amount on those hot dry days.
This past week it began to rain. We have had over 8 inches in the last 5 days. As of today, I am at full pond and watching closely as to any change or loss.
I am guardedly optimistic at this point and excited that, if we havent stopped the leak, at least it seems we have slowed it down considerably.
I'll keep you posted over the next few weeks as we watch the pond closely.
Thanks for all of your help and especially thanks to TJ for all of his help.